Youtube embeded size exceeds 640px by default

• Author
    PuliPuli

I found that when trying to embed a youtube video just inserting the URL it didn’t work properly: the size was 720px wide and my Mantra wordpress site with a wide right sidebar had a maximum of 640px available.

I tryed to find out how to resize it but I couldn’t find any solution that worked all the times (not even inserting the <iframe>).

I then realised that in older versions we could adjust the embeded media maximum size, so I went to the Codex but I then found out that this possibility was discontinued since wp 3.5

A little bit of google after that, I got to this link:

http://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-themes/how-to-set-oembed-max-width-in-wordpress-3-5-with-content_width/

Following the instructions of the article, I was able to embed the video with a correct maximum width of 640px adding this line to functions.php

if ( ! isset( $content_width ) ) $content_width = 640;

Now it works OK, I have no further problems embedding videos, but I know the functions.php file will be overwritten on any update of the Mantra theme, and also I read at the beginning of the file “DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE”.

Is there any other way to solve my problem? Maybe what happend to me is just a bug and you can use this little code to fix it in further releases…

Anyhow, thanks for taking care of our wp themed sites 🙂

Kay
    Cryout Creations mastermind

You can create a child theme. http://codex.wordpress.org/Child_Themes

Then in the functions.php of the child theme paste this:

After that you can update the theme at will.

Before posting consider reading our short theme debugging instructions.
    Please read the FAQs: MantraNirvanaParabolaTempera
    Tutorials: custom menustranslating themeinstalling themecategory page with introdisabling comments Wordpress: child themescategories/posts
    Before making any modifications to your theme we strongly recommend using Child Themes.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Youtube embeded size exceeds 640px by default’ is closed to new replies.