Problem with v3 update – customizations

  • Author
  • #57898

    I’m not saying this is a Mantra bug — no doubt just my ignorance. I have a few customizations in a Mantra v2.6 site:
    I have customized category-ID.php files in a mantra-child dirctory for ID=4,21,27. Also functions.php, single.php and style.css files.
    I have not updated the live site (URL above) but did update a test (WAMP) site.
    In the local (WAMP) test site there are several problems.

    One not too serious problem is that the menu bar now wraps, perhaps because of increased padding in the menu item titles? I don’t know where to override that.

    The most serious problem is when I click on “Upcoming Lectures” under the “Public Lecture Series” menu item. It is cat=27 so my category-27 file comes into play. But all I see is the additional text I added above the loop in category-27.php. The posts are not getting picked up. I tried putting the category-27.php file into mantra-child/templates/ and editing to have this line:
    get_template_part( ‘content/content’, get_post_format() );
    Unfortunately that hasn’t helped, and I am at the limit of my skill level to know what to try next.
    I would really appreciate some help with this!
    Thanks very much, John Cordes


    Partial solution found, thanks to my son. I edited the category-27.php file which is directly under the mantra-child directory (the old location before Mantra 3 came along) to use the “content/content” as indicated above. I believe this is now picking up the posts as desired.

    At the moment this leaves the other problem, of modifying the css for the padding in the menu titles — I don’t know what class names are involved, or where that particular css is located.



    Another update. The padding in the menu bar titles is in the main Mantra style. I’ve tried to override that with this entry in my mantra-child/style.css file:

    #access a {
    padding: 0.5em; 0.5em;

    but it is not working. (The parent Mantra theme as padding: 0.5em; 1.5em;)

    I have also tried including !important but that doesn’t help either. I don’t know if there is a css speficity issue here or if there is something else wrong.

    Any ideas, anyone?



    I found that using
    #access .menu-item a {…
    gave enough specificity to make it work.

    So now to check for other issues.

    Cryout Creations mastermind

    I see you sorted out the code that needed updating so far.
    If you find anything not working out as expected in the theme, please do let us know.

    If you like our creations, help us share by rating them on
    Please check the available documentation and search the forums before starting a topic.

    Thank you Zed. After realizing that it was only the files I already had in the mantra-child directory which needed some editing (eg. category-27.php and style.css), I was somewhat surprised to find that I also needed the “includes” sub-directory (containing theme-frontpage.php) to be under mantra-child as well. (This is just by testing on a test site; I still haven’t updated the live site yet.)
    Does that seem to be expected, to you? I don’t appear to need the other sub-directories content, resources or templates, to be under mantra-child; they are OK just in the main mantra folder.

    Cryout Creations mastermind

    File theme-frontpage.php isn’t used automatically when present in the child theme (nothing in the includes/ subfolder is, for that matter). For it to be used it needs to be manually loaded by the child theme code.

    The files which are automatically used if present in the child theme are the .php files in the root folder and all files in the content/ and templates/ subfolders.

    If you like our creations, help us share by rating them on
    Please check the available documentation and search the forums before starting a topic.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Problem with v3 update – customizations’ is closed to new replies.